The richness of our fine arts programs and traditions distinguishes St. Michael’s. Our school’s commitment to the arts extends from excellent classroom instruction to after-school lessons, student concerts, theater performances, and exhibitions.
- Experienced music teachers encourage a love of listening and guide students in the creation and understanding of music.
- Our Holiday Program for Elementary and Middle Schools in December brings joy to the Christmas season each year with wonderful chorus, solo, and instrumental performances. This evening in December is traditionally presented on our campus which is decorated with beautiful luminarias.
- Our annual Fine Arts Nights celebrates student music. Presentations by grades 5-8 are performed every year at the beautiful Temple of Music and Art in downtown Tucson, giving the students the opportunity to perform in a professional venue. Some of the musicals presented there have been “Godspell,” “School House Rock,” and “Xanadu.” The K-3 students perform in our own Student Center, where our theater comes alive with lights and sound for this delightful evening of entertainment.
- The St. Michael’s Theatre Department presents an annual student musical. The cast, ranging from third grade through eighth grade, performs over three days to sell-out audiences.
- Field trips to performances at the Tucson Music Hall, Fox Theatre, Proscenium Theatre, and the Symphony Center provide appreciation for a variety of styles.
- Our school band, available to students in grades 5-8, provides instruction in a range of instruments. The program is divided into Beginning Band and Advanced Band. Members perform at St. Nicholas Day, the Holiday Concert, Fine Arts Night, and various chapels.
- The St. Michael’s Choirs perform as featured ensembles at our Christmas shows and at Fine Arts Night. The choir also represents the school in the community, performing at the Tucson Botanical Gardens and the Tucson Festival of Books.
- Classroom instruction in art fosters creativity, critical thinking, and appreciation, while developing skills in students of all abilities. Displays of student art around campus build pride and confidence.
- The Art Expo in May showcases each child’s work at a reception for parents, friends, and students.
- Students of all ages submit art to our literary magazine, Eagle’s Quill, which spotlights St. Michael’s strong language arts and visual arts programs. Eagle’s Quill publishes poetry, essays, and short stories, as well as artwork and photography, by children throughout our grades. St. Michael’s is the only K-8 school in the state of Arizona to receive annual recognition from the National Council of Teachers of English’s Program to Recognize Excellence in Student Literary Magazines (PRESLM).