Language Arts (Harcourt / Zoo Phonics / Home Reading Program)
- Individualized one-on-one daily leveled reading.
- High-quality literature, fiction, nonfiction, poems, rhymes, and fables.
- Shared reading, guided reading, and independent reading.
- Balanced approach which includes both phonics and whole language.
- Positive, creative atmosphere where students are encouraged to express their thoughts and ideas through written form, both in authorship and illustrations.
- Weekly visits to the Wilmot Library where students check out books to take home.
- Focus on correct pencil grip and letter formation.
- Identify vertical, horizontal, and diagonal lines.
Math/Engineering (TERC / McGraw Hill / STEM Engineering Kit / Rockets with Raytheon)
- Patterning, graphing, addition, subtraction, geometry, time, money, measurement, simple fractions.
- Engagement in higher-level thinking skills – reasoning, estimation, explaining thought process aloud to peers, identifying problems and examining solutions.
- Engineering projects that require students to follow three and four step directions while completing tasks as a group.
- Building rockets with engineers from Raytheon and launching them upon completion.
Science (FOSS / Science Lab)
- Hands-on investigations and exploration about topics such as weather, plants, fabric, animals, habitats, the human body, space, rocks, and minerals.
- Science Lab once a week where students have the opportunity to use measuring tools such as beakers, droppers, magnifying glasses, and microscopes.
Social Studies (Second Step / National Geographic / Scholastic News)
- Recognize feelings in self and others.
- Learn how to respond appropriately to emotions and manage feelings (breathing, self-talk).
- Identify cultures, countries, traditions, and customs.
- Identify community helpers and how to be a good citizen.
- Physical Education – 30 minutes twice a week.
- Music – 30 minutes twice a week.
- Art – 60 minutes once a week.
- Science Lab – 60 minutes once a week.
- Spanish – 30 minutes once a week.
- Computers – 30 minutes once a week.
- Chapel – 20 minutes twice a week.
- Monday – Thursday 10-15 minutes each night.
- Fire Station
- Tucson Medical Center Teddy Bear Clinic
- Sabino Canyon
- Tucson Symphony Orchestra
- University of Arizona