St. Michael’s School, an independent, K-8 Episcopal school, is seeking an experienced middle school Science and Math teacher to join our faculty for the 2018-19 academic year.
The Science and Math teacher will be part of the teaching team for instruction in Science for the 6th grade and Math at the 6th-8th grade. Science instruction for the 6th grade focuses on Earth Science. Math instruction will be for 6th – 8th grade students, moving from Pre-Algebra through Algebra I and Geometry in preparation for high school curriculums. This is an exciting opportunity for a creative and dynamic teacher to join a vibrant community, working with motivated students in a rigorous academic program. Successful candidates should demonstrate a cooperative spirit with an engaging teaching style as well as the ability to create a collaborative learning environment. The full time position will also require serving in an advisory role in support of Science and Math based extracurricular activities such as robotics club, math competition teams, STEM activities and a garden club. Our faith-based community is inclusive and celebrates diversity, creating a rich, character-building learning environment.
- Teaching 6th grade Earth Science and three sections of Math, with an infusion of STEM investigations
- Emphasis on the scientific method and experiential, lab-based learning, which includes instruction and supervision of independent science fair projects
- Advisory duties that require the daily oversight of a small group of students, which includes the ability to build relationships with parents and maintain open lines of communication
- Active participation in school-wide events such as STEM Festival, Field Day, Art Expo, and Fine Arts performances
- Chaperone assignments that include middle school dances, field trips, and a week-long class trip
Minimum Requirements/Preferred Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Science or Math, with teaching certification
- A strong background in middle school teaching, preferably with two or more years of experience in Math and Science
- An ability to infuse technology effectively in a 1:1 device environment
- An understanding of the developmental needs of middle school students
- An upbeat, collegial disposition that maintains a growth mindset and creates an inclusive, positive learning environment
- The stamina, strength and desire to participate fully in week-long, strenuous class trips that potentially include hiking, kayaking, and extensive walking
- Shared leadership with colleagues in the planning and execution of a school-wide STEM Festival
How to Apply
Applicants may submit a brief cover letter, St. Michael’s Application for Employment, teaching philosophy statement, and resume with references to Tracy Holsinger, Administrative Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. St. Michael’s offers a comprehensive benefits package.
St. Michael’s School is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, sex, religion, or disability in its employment policies or school programs.